Thursday, October 6, 2016

World War Z by Max Brooks


World War Z was one of those break-out hits like The Hunger Games, The Martian, and The Da Vinci Code. But what sets this book apart from those three (other than not starting with the article “The”) is that it is not follow the traditional narrative we see in most books. There isn’t a beginning, middle and end in the sense that we’re all used to when picking up a book.

Rather, it is made up of an end with a prologue.  

I read the first few chapters of the book, like I do with all books. I pick it up, I turn the pages, I follow the story.

I hated it.

I was strapped in and braced for a rip-roaring ride through the zombie apocalypse. I saw the movie, and though I knew it wasn’t exactly faithful to the book, I was hoping for so much more. Where was the instant classic that so many people love? In fact, after this book, I hated the movie more because it could have been so much more. It could have been as great as the book I read.

Wait, what? How could I simultaneously hate it and love? Easy.

I hated reading it, but loved listening to the audio book.

I have never listened to an audio book for more than a chapter or two. I hate being read to. I hate listening to books as much as I hate reading movies. Call it an aversion to media-based synesthesia.

This past week a made a marathon move across the country. Some days I was driving fourteen hours or more. Of course, that amount of time on the road left little extra for curling up with a book. I decided that a book called World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War would best be told, well, orally.

And it was. What was at first a pile of rejected journalist’s notes became a cohesive story that could have been the isolated audio track of a History Channel documentary. The audio book employed some pretty well-known names in the entertainment industry, and it was fun hearing them take on the roles of survivors of the zombie apocalypse.

I listened to the entire book in one shot, after reading only the first section (Warnings) a few weeks prior. I found it far more engaging than what was on the radio in Mississippi on a Sunday (although, there were plenty of horror stories there). I found it more engaging that my travel mix. I found it so engaging, that I drove longer than I should have so I wouldn’t have to wait until the next day to listen to it some more.  I listened to it until I made it to my destination and then I sat in my car and listened to the final Goodbyes.

It was riveting as an audio book.

Brooks does a fantastic job weaving the science, horror and political machinations of a zombie apocalypse into a cohesive novel. Telling the story in any of those three formats would be good, but he goes or great and gets as close as possible with the format he chose.

Because as great as the book is in its format as an audio book, I think I would have enjoyed it more in a more traditional format if I was reading it.

I would almost venture to say Brooks took the easy way out by skirting the essential elements of a good fiction novel and instead relying nearly solely on dialogue. He gives brief descriptions in that dialogue, but for the most part it’s just folks talking. He organizes the “interviews” in a beginning, middle, and end, but for the most parts it’s just folks talking.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a brilliant technique and there are some haunting passages. My favorites were Air Force Colonel Christina Eliopolis and Todd Wainio. Not sure if it’s my military background or that they were just the most action-packed, but I really found myself drawn to these characters. Eliopolis had a somewhat cliché story, but it was still haunting—when acted out in audio book. I went back and re-read that section and found it less satisfying in print.

Brooks is the son of comedian Mel Brooks and wrote for a while on SNL. He’s found himself a niche in the zombie genre with a couple of hits, including WWZ and The Zombie Survival Guide. I’m glad I discovered the virtues of the audio book, because I don’t think I would have liked this as much as I did if I’d read it in its entirety.

5 comments:

  1. I guess I should have thought about an audio book for this one. That makes perfect sense, "An oral history." Never thought about it that way. Reading the entire thing was a drag other than a few interesting characters and their story, but other than that...bleh.

    I never knew Max was Mel Brooks' son, who I'm a huge fan of. Come to think of it...if he had made this a comedy it would be entertaining as hell! Now I want to see Mel's adaptation of this story as a comedy. Shame he's retired and like 93 I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, if you get a chance to listen to the audio book, do it. They have top notch actors for each section (like Alan Alda, Mark Hamill, Denise Crosby and Jeri Ryan... and so many more).

      Delete
  2. I tried the audiobook as you know. I see your point in that it would have been better and I would be lying if I said I didn't go looking through my old boxes of stuff for it about halfway through the book. BUT, it is still a cop out to me. Granted, listening to different voices narrating what you described as a sort of History Channel documentary (which is a great analogy) I would have still been disgusted with the lack of story.
    Do you think any one of us could get away with turning this in as our thesis? I doubt that very much. And it's not like Brooks has an actual novel under his belt before writing this story. He wrote a fun little survival guide. I don't know, maybe it is sour grapes (I'm not the child of someone famous so that I have my foot way into the door before I put a single word on the page)but I will never accept Brooks as an author in the way I would King, Barker, or Koontz no matter how many millions he made off this collection of character backstories.
    Joe-la

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me wrong, I don't think this is a great story at all. The fact I had to listen to it means as much. I hated myself for not loving it like everybody else, but at the end of the day it's just not a very enjoyable book to me. I wholeheartedly agree that Brooks has yet to prove his mettle as a writer, but I'll give credit where credit is due: his research and geo-political views are more advanced than a lot of other pop fiction writers whom I enjoy reading more.

      Delete
  3. I'm not typically fond of audiobooks as I can't seem to et the same personal in-depth experience just listening to the book, but I agree it was better as an audio book. I went back and forth between both. A couple times I would go back and read an interview that sounded good on the audio and find the written version lacked the finesse of the voice actor that I think made me get into it more. I don't have any military background, so I think that may be a factor in the book not hooking me as much. My navy vet husband was in love with this book, so perhaps I'm just not the right type of person.

    ReplyDelete